“A government-trained predator.”
That’s one description of this week’s Team Never Quit Podcast guest, Jay Dobyns. While he participated in hundreds of undercover operations as a federal agent, he is best known for getting past multiple layers of security and becoming a member of the Hells Angels. Jay’s book about that investigation – No Angel, My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels – is a New York Times and international bestseller. Dobyns served as a federal agent for twenty-seven years, and was driven to succeed at any cost without regard for himself.
These days, Jay has gone from a life of daring, undercover operations to becoming a High School football coach in Tucson, Arizona. Listen in as Jay and Marcus share an engaging conversation about Jay’s encounters and adventures.
In this episode you will hear:
• The entertainment industry gets second takes. If they miss a line, they can try again. In real life, there are no second chances.
• I feel very blessed to have entered undercover work. Nothing really prepares you until you get out there and get your feet wet.
• I’ve bought pea shooters, rocket launchers, bombs, homemade PVC pipe bombs, and servo activated C4.
• I infiltrated home invasion crews. That’s where I got my training to take on the Hells Angels.
• I didn’t always succeed at things, but I always tried.
• My undercover persona eventually became who I was.
• I made a million mistakes in my life, and my wife and family have given me one million and one second chances.
• We fabricated the murder of a Hells Angels rival, and that is when I was welcomed into the organization.
• I ruined everything for the mission. It was heartbreaking to see what I had done to get there.
• God does not build us to intentionally betray people.
• My agency failed to react to threats against me. I was told “You’re on your own.”
• When no one cares who gets credit for success, we’re on to something.
• Want someone to remember your name? You’re gonna have to do something they will never forget.
• If you want something you’ve never had before, you’re gonna have to do things you’ve never done before.
• Life is about making mistakes, but don’t remake mine – I can tell you how they turn out. It’s not good.