Author of A Small If, Public Speaker, and Founder of Destroy Duchenne
Sometimes all you need is “a small IF” – That’s all Elijah Stacy would need to do something that had never been done before –change the shape of his own spine. This week’s Team Never Quit guest brings to the table his incredible story of phenomenal pursuit of life itself. Elijah suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy – a fatal disease – which took the life of his younger brother. Yet he maintains a positive outlook on his future, despite the odds.
Does Elijah Stacy stay at home in his wheelchair feeling sorry for himself? Not hardly.
He launched a non-profit organization – Destroy Duchenne at age 15 in an endeavor to find a cure via gene-editing technology. He is a public speaker and has a passion for business.
Listen in as Elijah encourages all of us to be the change that we seek.
In this episode you will hear:
• When I was 6 years old, I was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
• I have an athlete’s mindset as my dad was a football coach.
• My wheelchair symbolizes suffering. Everyone will suffer at some point in their life.
• But I sit on top of my wheelchair. I symbolize that you can overcome adversity.
• My mind is set on being great.
• Be a better version of yourself.
• Let me be the difference.
• Adversity is an opportunity to improve your character.
• One of my priorities is to bring awareness to this disease.
• I’m trying to be the Magic Johnson of Duchenne.
• If we can learn to edit our DNA, we can cure any disease.
• Every day is a never quit day.
• I love when people doubt me. I’m like “Oh, let’s bet on it.”
• I hung a picture of my curved spine on my wall, so I could visualize it being straighter.
• All I needed was a small ”if”. I just needed to know it’s possible.
• Everything I do is in service for other people.